Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Power of Simulation

While frustrating at points, I really enjoyed the opportunity to interact with a lesson through simulation vs. having a traditional (however traditional an online class can be) lesson. I definitely took things away from the activity on how to build understanding and develop a team with work and effort, but it also had me doing some serious reflecting on my own classroom. For the last two years, I have had my students participate in an interactive simulation based around the trip across the Atlantic by the Pilgrims. Teams work together to complete tasks with determine their success with travel, food & harvest, and building shelter. It is a very powerful and meaningful activity that has seen a lot of success and enjoyment. I am looking to include more activities like this in my classroom to emphasis student involvement and community to accomplish academic understanding.

4 comments:

  1. Lessons like that one are the kind that kids remember years later. Of course, we have to have the standard classroom to build the skills, but getting kids involved and interested is what really drives ideas home. Sounds like a really fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great activity. I am hoping to include more simulation activities in my classroom as well. I think the simulation activity we did in class made me realize how hard and frustrating it can be to be an administrator. It takes a lot of effort in order to adopt changes in a district. I am not sure I would have the patience to wait for everyone's approval in order to adopt new changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interact (link below) has some great simulations and other type of interactive activities for all grades.

      http://www.interact-simulations.com/

      Delete
  3. Simulations turn ideas into a visceral reality, something most traditional classrooms lack. Taking something from a textbook and turning it into a realistic experience engages the learner on the highest level of creativity and thought and turns learning into a memorable experience. Bravo for already having simulations in your classrooms. I think the more we implement real projects into our teaching the more engaged and interested our students will be.

    ReplyDelete