Sunday, August 5, 2012

Follow the Leader

Currently, my leadership roles within my school take a more "behind the scenes" look. Some of the ways that I lead are by doing things such as professional development to improve my classroom and teaching, implementing technology, piloting new ideas and methods (which are then shared with others if they have shown benefit), I have been apart of several important committees that will help shape our school with new RtI and Common Core Implementation, and overall innovative thinking and willingness to change, grow, and improve. A large majority of these tasks were taken on without directive, but that can be said for most of the things that leaders do and take on. A few tasks have been given to me by administration, with expectation that there is feedback, input, and production. I enjoy having these responsibilities and opportunities to learn and grow as a professional educator.

2 comments:

  1. Your experiences sound a lot like mine! I enjoy taking on these roles in our district, but lately have been taking on so many that it has been taking me away from my classroom! I enjoy these opportunities, but to me my students should come first. As a younger teacher, do you struggle with being in a leadership role? I have a hard time feeling comfortable being a leader over veteran teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I think you have a bittersweet role. The good thing, if it's beneficial you get recognize, if it's not then it gets ignored. At least you have experience too as being a leader. When I was working, I too was chosen for different tasks to perform and test things out. I enjoyed it, but the work doing it was sometimes a headache.

    ReplyDelete